There is a lot of confusion at the moment about disposable face masks. Here are the key questions that are being asked:
- Can disposable face masks be cleaned?
- Which disposable face masks are best?
- Can disposable face masks be used more than once?
We thought it would be useful to write a simple guide on how to use, remove and then dispose of face masks safely.
What To Do
- Before putting on a disposable face mask, clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Cover mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
- Avoid touching the mask while using it; if you do, clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and do not re-use single-use masks.
- To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of mask); discard immediately in a closed bin; clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand sanitizer or soap and water. If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly. The World Health Organization infographics below show you how to do this:
If you value the life of yourself, your family and people you work with, we recommend staying safe and getting protection. Remember, masks save lives.